Jan 7, 2010

Too Hot To Handle? - my first attempt at red curry paste

Mistake number one: don't use the small red chilis you see here.  Even though I removed the seeds, they were hotter than hell.  My red curry paste may be inedible.  I'll find out when I try it out on a white lady friend tonite [insert sinister hee hee].  Try using Ancho or Guajillo chilis.  Because it was so hot, I added more onion to the blender, which resulted in the paste being...not as pasty as it should be.  I can expect an overall loss of intensity, since I "diluted" with onion.  Anyway...let's say you want to make your own curry paste.  Use a coffee grinder for the peppercorns, cloves, bay leaves, cumin, cinnamon and coriander.   Mortar and pestle the garlic, galangal, lime zest and lemon grass.  Grate the nutmeg pods.  After removing the seeds, soak the dried chilis in boiling water for a 10 minutes or so to soften.  In the end, you can put all the ingredients into a blender or food processor.  Here is approximately what I used:  10 super duper hot chilis with the seeds removed (use a different kind next time), a whole nutmeg pod, a third a stick of cinnamon, two tablespoons of coriander seeds, two tablespoons of cumin seeds, about a teaspoon of whole cloves, a teaspoon of salt, 3 bay leaves, 4 cloves of garlic, a tablespoon of lime zest, a couple tablespoons of galangal, about 4 tablespoons of lemon grass, 2 teaspoons of shrimp paste, one medium white onion, about 1/4 cup of vegetable oil to aid the blender.  If you use Ancho or Guajillo, the curry will be mild.  Add a couple hot chiles if you likey spicey.  Hope this shit tastes good, because a friend is coming over soon for coconut curried salmon!

No comments:

Post a Comment