Jan 10, 2010

Making coconut sticky rice and Thai desserts

I have no idea how authentic my versions of these desserts are.  I've been to Thailand a couple times and I ate there many times.  As many times as I could.  I made these recipes up based on my memory of what the food was like there.  Oh sweet Thailand!  Have you seen the movie LA Story?  There's a scene in which Steve Martin and his leading lady fall in love and are both transformed into  children again.  All Mr. Martin can say is, "wonderful, wonderful, wonderful..."  That's how I feel about Thailand.  

To see more photos of how to make coconut sticky rice and Thai desserts, go to:  frankie makes coconut sticky rice on facebook


To make coconut sticky rice:   
1 can of coconut milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar

Pour the coconut milk, salt and sugar into a mason jar, and shake it like a polaroid picture.  
To your freshly steamed, still hot sticky rice, add about 1/3 cup of the seasoned coconut milk per two cups of cooked rice.  Mix, cover, and let the rice absorb the coconut milk for a few minutes.  That’s it!  You’ve made coconut sticky rice. 

So what to do with all that luscious leftover salty sweet coconut milk?  A couple traditional Thai desserts come to mind:  mango sticky rice and bananas in coconut milk. 

To make mango sticky rice with coconut cream sauce:  you will thicken the coconut milk into a sauce.  Add about a tablespoon of flour per cup of coconut milk left in the mason jar and shake like mad.  Heat the mixture in a saucepan over medium/high heat, stirring constantly until thickened - maybe five minutes.  Pour the coconut sauce over sticky rice and fresh mango slices.   

To make bananas with coconut cream sauce:  made the sauce as above, then add sliced bananas to it and cook for about two minutes.  Serve with sticky rice.  

2 comments:

  1. I want this. Rice is my favorite dessert base. Hope to see more of it in your desserts! Oh, It's Janet by the way....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Lucy

    http://keyboardpiano.net

    ReplyDelete