Feb 16, 2010

Blow your friends’ and family’s minds with this fabulously rich and hearty Mexican stew!

A few months ago I spent a wild weekend with a bunch of friends in a big house on the Oregon coast.  Among other culinary delights, I was treated to an awesome Mexican stew called Posole.  The spicy soup was rich and flavorful, with juicy tender falling apart hunks of pork and nuggets of golden hominy slow cooked in a complex mélange of chili peppers and oregano.  It was served with a huge plate of all kinds of wonderful garnishes and warm corn tortillas.  Did we have beer?  I think there was tequila.  Oh man, doesn’t matter ‘cause I loved that stew and couldn’t stop thinking about it for weeks.   

I have attempted to make posole at home several times since.  This is my current bastardization of the dish.  I doubt it resembles a traditional Mexican posole (I’ve never had it so I wouldn’t know) so I’m calling it a Mexican Stew.  I hope you love it as much as I do! 


to see the full instructional photo album, go to:  frankie's Mexican stew on facebook 

You will need:
1 cup of garlic chili paste.  See my “smoky garlic chili paste” album for directions.
Pork.  I used a 3 1/2 pound shoulder, but any inexpensive hunk o’ meat will do.
1 medium onion
at least 5 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 cups beef or chicken stock
2 tablespoons Mexican oregano.  Yes, it’s different.
1 tablespoon cumin
1 20 oz can of hominy
1 12 oz can of black beans

Make the garlic chili paste and set aside.  Make it the day before if you like.  See my album “smoky garlic chili paste” for the recipe and directions. 

Cut the pork into large hunks and set aside. 

Dice the onion and garlic and sauté with a couple tablespoons of oil in a large pot on medium heat until the onions are transparent.

Add the pork to the pot.  Add about 4 cups of stock.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours.  [This would be a good time to make the garlic chili paste if you aren’t able to make it ahead of time.]

Add 2 tablespoons Mexican oregano, 1 tablespoon cumin, and about a cup of garlic chili paste and stir.  Drain the can of hominy and add. 

Cover and simmer for 1/2 to 1 hour longer.  You want the meat to be ever so tender…just starting to fall apart.  When you reach that stage, turn off the heat and finish up the stew by adding a can pureed black beans. 

Garnishing the stew is fun!  Prepare a big platter of garnishes such as:
Diced onions or scallions, sliced radishes and jalapenos, lime wedges, cilantro, avocado, cotija or cheddar cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, whatever you like!

And don’t forget the home made corn tortillas (yeah, I’m workin’ on it…)

No comments:

Post a Comment