Feb 3, 2010

Spicy Crunchy Salmon Rolls

I love sushi, but there's no decent japanese restaurant near our cabin in New York.  So I'll try to make the foods I like to order at restaurants in the city.  One of my favorites is a spicy crunchy salmon or tuna roll.  I took a go at it today.  I had some salmon from my alaskan fishing adventure in the freezer, and I used brown rice instead of japanese rice (no japanese rice at the grocery store here).  I picked some wild scallions in the woods outside the cabin, and I had seaweed that I'd bought in Queens a long time ago.  

The rolls came out pretty darn good, except for the brown rice, which I think is a bit hard for sushi rolls.  My husband thought the rolls were terrific, which delighted me, because he's really not into sushi.  I will definitely make these again, perhaps overcooking the brown rice a little to see if I get a more softer texture.  

to see the entire instructional photo album, go to:  frankie's spicy crunchy salmon roll on facebook  

Spicy Crunchy Salmon (or tuna!) Rolls

To make two rolls (8 pieces each) you will need:
A bamboo sushi mat
2 Seaweed sheets
1 cup (before cooking) Japanese rice or brown rice
¼ cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
about 5 ounces of fresh salmon or tuna
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
½ teaspoon of Sriracha
1/3 cup of Panko bread crumbs
Optional garnishes:  scallions, sesame seeds

Cook the rice and transfer it to a large bowl.  In a small bowl, whisk together ¼ cup of rice vinegar and 1 tablespoon of sugar.  Fold into warm rice.  Let the sushi rice cool completely while you prepare the filling.

Mince about 5 ounces of raw salmon or tuna.  Add 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and about half a teaspoon of sriratcha. (I’ll be adding more to the the finished rolls, so I don’t overdo the hot stuff in the filling.) 

Get out your sushi mat and a sheet of seaweed.  Spread a thin layer of sushi rice over the entire sheet of seaweed.  I use a rubber spatula to make a thin, even layer that’s well packed.  (It helps to make a nicely shaped roll that won’t fall apart when you cut it.)  Add a layer of your spicy fish at the front end of the seaweed.  Add a layer of Panko.  You’re doing great so far!  Now here’s the part that takes some practice:  using both hands, gently roll the end with the filling over.  Tuck the leading edge of the seaweed under if you need to.  Continue to roll, gently squeezing the bamboo mat to keep your sushi roll compact.  Let the sushi roll rest for a couple minutes with the open edge of the seaweed face down.  Resting the roll makes it easier to cut clean pieces off, and letting it rest with the end of the seaweed face down helps seal it closed. 

Get our your sharpest knife, wet the blade, and cut pieces off your sushi roll with a gentle back and forth sawing action.  This will help prevent squishing your lovely roll. 

Garnish with more Panko crumbs and sriratcha.  I also added some scallions and sesame seeds, just to pretty it up for the photo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment