Apr 23, 2010

Smoked Salmon, West Coast Style

In New York, if you buy smoked salmon what you will get is Lox.  Because the fish is salt cured without heat, it retains the appearance and texture of raw fish, and the flavor competes with an acute saltiness.  The fish doesn’t taste particularly smoky, and I’m not sure it even is, technically speaking, smoked salmon.  Nevertheless, I’ve come to love raw salty salmon as a topping for bagels, hors d’oeuvres, omelettes and more.     

I grew up in Oregon, where most smoked salmon is heat cured and so more closely resembles fish jerky.  It has a dark, leathery skin encasing firm, intensely smoky and often sweet flesh.  You can enjoy this style of smoked salmon in the same ways you might enjoy lox, and it also lends itself to other culinary realms. 

Heat-smoked salmon imparts its awesome smokiness to anything you add it to.  I recently used a hunk of it to make smoked salmon chowder.  You can make a dip your friends will go ga ga over just by blending it with sour cream.  And you know what I’m thinking?  White cheddar or maybe dill Havarti mac n’ cheese with smoked salmon cooked into it.  Oh yeah!  So many recipes and not enough people in my house to eat everything…


To see how I made the smoked salmon, go to:  frankie makes smoked salmon on facebook

1 comment:

  1. I made this tonight, and it’s delicious. I’ll probably skip the lemon next time though – it made the soup curdle in an unattractive way. Still tastes fine, and it’s just the two of us at home so I don’t really mind if it looks a little funky, but if I can avoid it…

    ReplyDelete