Apr 4, 2011

Schmidt's Apple Strudel: not the best Thing I've ever eaten, but definitly the best Strudel!

  
When I want to be fully present and enjoy the moment, I leave my camera at home.  Which is why I only have a few photos from last week’s trip along the breathtaking coast of California.  There was a single item on my list of things to photograph – the apple strudel at Schmidt’s in San Francisco.  After drooling over it while watching the Food Network’s “The Best Thing I Ever Ate” I became obsessed with making it at home.  I scanned the net for photos and recipes…and found naught!  I decided I’d have to fill the gap myself, and made a trip into the city (the last thing I want to do while on vacation) to gather the necessary data. 

I wouldn’t call the apple strudel the best thing I’ve ever eaten, but it was pretty damn good.  Made with fresh apples, sour cream, and a host of golden raisins - all piled between layers of buttery puff pastry, the strudel had a lemony zest, a crispy top, and just the right amount of sugar (I think most desserts are grossly over sweetened).  Served with a dollop of freshly whipped cream, I was almost able to convince myself that the strudel was a “light” dessert.  Naught!  


No comments:

Post a Comment