Jan 30, 2012

Calla Lily Inspired Earrings


 

This weird and wonderful warm weather has me convinced that it's spring in the Hudson Valley.  Not true...but I still felt like making something flowery.

Follow the See More link to see exactly how I made these Cally lily inspired earrings.  



I experimented until I came up with a shape that I could bend into the flowers.

I traced the shape onto paper and backed with adhesive.

I adhered the shapes to brass and sterling silver sheet metals.

I cut the shapes with tin snips.

Removed the adhesive backing.

Hammered the sheet metal for texture.  

Annealed (softened) the metal so I could bend it with less wrist strain.

Sanded the pieces.

Polished the pieces.

Ready to bend.

I kinda laughed when my friend bought me this tiny anvil - but I use it all the time!

I bent the pieces around the anvil.

Not flowers yet.

I used a series of pliers to bend the petal outwards.

Pretty!

Calla lilies only have a single stamen, but I wanted three danglies on these.

I made sterling and brass ball pins with my torch.

I cut them to length.

I formed a loop at each end.

Silver stamen.  I did them in brass as well. 

For the hoops I wanted the flowers to hang from, I cut sterling and brass wires.

I formed a loop at one end.

One end of the silver and brass hoop earrings.

I bent the wires around my ring mandrel.

Too plain.  I like texture.

I used my tiny anvil again to hammer each hoop.


Better.

The flower stamen grouped into threes.

I oxidized all the pieces in liver of sulphur.

I'll have to polish everything one last time.

Before and after polishing.

Now we're getting somewhere.

I fed the wire through the top of the flower and secured everything with a wrap.  

I made something like this many years ago, but I think these are even better.

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous !! These are so nice. Thanks for all the detailed info. You sure are talented ! Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely stunning. I checked your etsy shop and I don't see anything. I hope you post things there soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely
    What thickness is your sheet metal please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. eToro is the ultimate forex broker for rookie and advanced traders.

    ReplyDelete