Feb 23, 2012

Making Pie Crust in a Food Processor



My dad taught me how to make a great pie crust with a pastry blender when I was about 11 years old (see my old video here: hand made pie crust with frankie).  I've come up in the world since then, and now I own a suh-weet food processor with which I've learned to make a comparable pie dough.  It takes a little more planning ahead, because you have to freeze the butter and then chill the dough before rolling it out, but it's otherwise far more efficient and saves you the pain-in-the-wrist of blending the pastry by hand.  I show how to make an apple pie in the video, both because it's my favorite and because I'm in love with my apple corer-peeler-slicer.  

For the pie crust dough, you'll need:  
2 sticks of (salted) butter
2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of water

For the filling, I used:
about 10 granny smith apples
a mixture of:
1/4 cup of flour
1/3 cup of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon

Notes:  I love a tart apple pie, so I always use granny smith apples.  I hate over sweetened pies, so I never add a single grain more sugar than is required to make this recipe delicious.  In the video I sprinkle some sugar on top of the pie before baking.  I don't always do that, but it made the crust so yummy that I think I'll do it from now on - it's such a small amount of sugar.  And I've only got about sixty years left to live.

2 comments:

  1. Nice video! How large a food processor do I need for the pie crust?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frankie, could you share the brand and model of your food processor... Looks good

    ReplyDelete