Feb 9, 2012

No Knead Rye Sandwich Bread

I didn't take a lot of photos while I was making this bread (I was focused on the concurrent elk pastrami project) but it turned out so well that I wish I had. I'll make the bread again soon, and either take more photos or film a video.  For now, I'll post the pics I have and give you the recipe.  

First, I whisked together in a large bowl:
2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 tablespoon cocoa powder

Then I added the flours and caraway seeds:
2 cups white flour
1 cup rye flour
1 cup wheat flour
3 tablespoons caraway seeds

I mixed it all together and scraped the dough down into the bowl.  Then I loosely covered the bowl with a plastic bag and let it sit at room temperature for 24 hours.


The next day I scraped the bubbly, sticky dough out of the bowl and onto a heavily floured surface.  I folded it over on itself - with plenty of flour - about three times.  Then I did my best to shape it into a ball.  The dough was heavy and wet, so the ball wasn't very tall.

I let that sit, uncovered, while I got the oven ready.

I put my cast iron dutch oven, with the lid on, into the oven and set it at 450 degrees.  I let it heat up for a full 30 minutes.

I transferred the dough ball into the hot cast iron pot, covered, and baked for 30 minutes.  

I removed the lid and baked for 10 more minutes.

That's it!  The procedure is pretty much the same thing I demonstrate in my very first cooking video (see my old video on youtube) except that it's even easier because you don't really need to let the bread rise for two hours before baking.  I only let it rise for the 30 minutes while the dutch oven is heating up.


Note:  If you don't have cocoa powder, you can probably leave it out.  You could probably use honey instead of molasses.  Just know that these changes will result in a lighter colored loaf.  












1 comment:

  1. It's one of the best breads ... Pops

    ReplyDelete