May 14, 2012

Mango Sorbet

I can't believe I existed for 27 years before discovering the wonder of mangoes.  It's not that I'd never tasted one before - just not a good one.  When I moved to New York City I started buying my fruit from a sidewalk vendor outside my lab.  One day, as I eyed his stand deciding what to get, the proprietor handed me a small, yellowish-orange, almond shaped mango.  "You try."  I was skeptical, but my fruit guy assured me they were much better than the other kind  - the big red and orange skinned ones you typically see at a grocery store.  The mango I bought that day was ripe, juicy, velvety smooth, and far more flavorful than any mango I'd had before.  Since then, I've been buying those small almond shaped mangoes whenever they're available.  Even if they aren't totally ripe when you buy them, they ripen on a windowsill much better than the large type - and the texture and flavor are far superior.  I'm not slamming the big mangoes, because if you can find a good one they're delicious.  I'm just saying that if you're like I was in my 20's, "mangoes?  whatever" you may yet have something wonderful to discover.    

Mango Sorbet (4 servings)

4 ripe mangoes (the smaller of the two kinds grocery stores typically sell)
the juice of 1 lime (2-3 tablespoons)
1/4 cup heavy cream (or substitute coconut cream)
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar

Four of these smaller type mangoes seems to be the right number for my one quart ice cream maker.  

Put the mangoes in a blender or food processor.

Juice a lime.

Add the lime juice.  This one produced a little under 3 tablespoons.

Add 1/4 cup of sugar.  

Add 1/4 cup of heavy cream, or coconut cream if you wanna go non-dairy.

4 mangoes, 3 T lime juice, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup heavy cream.

Puree until very smooth.  These smaller mangoes are less fibrous and puree smoother than the big ones.  

Baby food.  Taste it and see if you think it needs anything...

I thought one more tablespoon of sugar was needed.  

My one quart ice cream maker.

The bowl of the ice cream maker has been in my deep freeze overnight - at close to zero degrees.  The colder the better 'cause you'll be able to churn longer before the liquid inside the freezer bowl thaws.  

After about 20 minutes of churning.  

After 25 minutes, the sorbet becomes so thick that churning isn't really moving it around the freezer bowl any more.  Done.

Transfer the sorbet to a shallow container or dish.

Compress the sorbet.

Put it in the freezer for at least two hours to firm it up.

So smooth!  I think the bit of cream adds a lot to the texture of this sorbet.  

A few good mangoes make one great sorbet.





2 comments:

  1. 3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by eating Coconut Fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from large medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete